Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2019 » February » Carbon monoxide detector saves family of seven

Carbon monoxide detector saves family of seven

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called to a carbon monoxide (CO) leak in Kidderminster last night. Fortunately a working CO detector had saved the lives of the family of seven.

Co detector istock 1067877122 webThe private rented accommodation in a low-rise multi-storey block had been fitted with a working CO alarm which detected a leak from the boiler.

Firefighters from HWFRS attended to the two adults and five children, who were all showing initial signs of the effects of CO, and liaised with gas engineers to isolate the boiler.

The family was taken to hospital by ambulance to be checked, and their home was made safe for their return.

Group Commander Mick Cadman from HWFRS Community Risk said: "Working smoke alarms must be fitted on every storey in all rented properties, but private landlords are also required to fit carbon monoxide detectors in residential properties with solid fuel burning appliances.

"Compliance to this requirement saved the lives of this family, as CO is both colourless and odourless, and would otherwise have gone undetected, and could have led to unconsciousness, or worse."

HWFRS asks people to ensure that a carbon monoxide detector is fitted in their home.Until then, signs that carbon monoxide is being produced include:

  • yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel-effect fires or fuel-less appliances that display this colour flame)
  • soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances
  • pilot lights that frequently blow out
  • increased condensation inside windows

If you have a family friend, or a relative that would benefit from a free Home Fire Safety Check then call the Community Risk team at HWFRS on 0800 032 1155 to see if they qualify for a check.

Ends

pr031.CO_alarms.CR.feb19.jaa (GCMC)