Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2015 » July » House fire in Blakedown

House fire in Blakedown

in News

In the early hours of this morning (Friday 3 July), Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue (HWFRS) was called to reports of a house fire in Wannerton Road, Blakedown. Two fire engines from Kidderminster attended the incident, which had been caused by a dishwasher that had been left on.

The two occupants managed to evacuate the building prior to the arrival of HWFRS and were checked over by the ambulance service at the scene. The crews used breathing apparatus sets to enter the building and a hose reel was used to extinguish the fire.

Station Commander Rob Allen said: "Thankfully, due to the working smoke alarms, the occupants were able to evacuate the building safely. Smoke alarms provide an early warning and can save lives so we urge people to fit a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and ensure they are tested on a weekly basis."

He continued: "The crews were quickly able to extinguish the fire which had been caused by a dishwasher that had been left on. We strongly advise the public to turn off all appliances before going to bed and ensure that they have an escape plan."

If you require any advice on fire safety or you would like to see if you qualify for a free Home Fire Safety Check, please call the Community Risk department on 0800 032 1155.

Issued by:
Jessica Chadwick
Corporate Communications Manager
Tel: 01905 368 319