Fire Service issues safety advice following three kitchen fires
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is issuing safety advice following three kitchen fires that have taken place in the last 24 hours.
Station Commander Alan Haley from the Community Risk Department said: "Half of all accidental fires start in the kitchen so we urge people to take extra care when cooking. This month is also Fire Kills cooking safety month, which is a timely reminder to stay safe in the kitchen.
He added: "Never leave the kitchen whilst cooking and if a pan does catch fire, don't try to tackle it. Get out, stay out and call 999. It's also a good idea to take care with electrics and ensure that appliances are away from curtains, tea towels and kitchen roll etc."
Further tips from HWFRS include:
- Double check the hob is off when you've finished cooking.
- Take care if you're wearing loose clothing as they can easily catch fire.
- Avoid leaving children in the kitchen alone when cooking. Keep matches and saucepan handles out of their reach to keep them safe.
- Keep your equipment clean and in good working order. A build-up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
- Don't cook after drinking alcohol.
- Hot oil can catch fire easily - be careful that it doesn't overheat.
- Never throw water on a chip pan fire.
- In the event of a fire, have an escape plan in place.
- Get at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them monthly.
Further advice on fire safety can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk
Corporate Communications Manager
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service
Tel: 01905 368 319