Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2014 » January » House fire, Alvechurch

House fire, Alvechurch

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) received the call just before 3.20am and two fire engines from Redditch fire station were quickly at the address. Faced with a fire in an upstairs bathroom and the roof space of the listed cottage, extra resources were requested, and further pumps from Redditch and Bromsgrove also attended.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus then used two hose reel jets and one covering jet to extinguish the blaze and also used thermal imaging equipment to check the fire was fully out.

A woman from the house was treated at the scene by paramedics and fire crews rescued her cat from the house using a ladder at a first floor window.

Watch Commander Jon Laight from HWFRS praised the fire crews, saying: “The fire had broken out in the bathroom of a two-storey terraced cottage in a row of listed buildings. It had already spread into the roof space and there was a very real risk of the fire spreading horizontally into adjoining properties, but thanks to the actions of the first crews at the scene, this was avoided. The four crews acted quickly and professionally to bring the fire under control and limit the damage to all three houses."

He confirmed that crews remained at the scene until 7.30am this morning, cutting away to ensure there was no further fire spread and assisting with salvage work. A re-inspection is also due later this morning.

He added: “Without a doubt, the working smoke alarm fitted in this property played a key role. The early warning it gave provided the woman time to get out safely and call the fire service and we were then able to save her house and those of her neighbours, all three of them listed properties. The incident illustrates just why we remind people to check their smoke alarms on a regular basis, as working smoke alarms really can and do save lives."