Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » June » Skittle alley fire

Skittle alley fire

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was alerted to the incident at The Coppertops in Oldbury Road just after 1.30pm and four fire engines (Worcester x 2, Malvern, Droitwich) attended.

On arrival, crews found a fire in the skittle alley in the basement which they extinguished with four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and two hose reels. Positive pressure ventilation fans were also used to clear the smoke from the premises.

Station Commander Toby Kempton from HWFRS said: “The Coppertops is a large pub with a bar and lounge area and a separate function room area, and the fire had broken out in the skittle alley below the function room. This was not in use at the time but the main bar area was quickly evacuated as a precautionary measure after smoke detectors activated and smoke was seen coming from the basement.

“Our crews worked hard to bring this fire under control and thanks to their efforts, it was contained to the basement where it had started, with no spread to other parts of the building.”

He confirmed that there was some fire damage to the skittle alley itself and considerable smoke damage in the basement, but no one injured during the incident.

The stop message was given at 2.20pm.

The fire is believed to have been caused by faulty electrics.