Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » September » Update on Stourport house fire

Update on Stourport house fire

in News

Appliances from Kidderminster (two), Stourport and Bewdley were called to the fire in Stagborough Way in Stourport just after 3pm on Friday afternoon after a smoke alarm at the property activated and alerted the occupants.

Crews arrived at the house to find a fully developed fire involving both the utility room of the property and a caravan stored in the adjoining garage. Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the property and rescued an elderly man who was then taken hospital, along with his wife, to be checked for the effects of smoke inhalation.

The fire was then brought under control with eight firefighters in breathing apparatus, two hose reels and one main jet used.

The caravan in the garage was destroyed in the blaze, and there was fire damage to the ground floor of the property and extensive smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a faulty dishwasher in the utility.

Station Commander George Marshall from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) praised fire crews for their hard work, saying: “This was a challenging fire to tackle. The blaze was very severe and access to the rear of the property was difficult. There were also concerns about two LPG cylinders stored in the caravan.

“However the swift actions of the initial crews helped prevent the incident escalating and spreading to the neighbouring property.”

He stressed that a working smoke alarm at the property also made a vital difference.

“An early alert from the smoke alarm meant that fire crews were quickly at the scene and were able to bring the elderly man safely out of the property. He and his wife were taken to hospital but are not expected to suffer any long term effects, which is great news. Equally, fire damage was restricted to their property only but this would have been a different story if the crews had not started firefighting action so rapidly.”

He urged everyone to take note of this incident and to check their own smoke alarms are in working order. As this incident illustrates, working smoke alarms really do save lives.