Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service support Gas Safety Week
This fourth annual Gas Safety Week will see the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety to the forefront of people's minds. Dangerous gas work can kill, so it is vital that gas appliances are safety checked at least once a year. If left unchecked, poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In the last year alone, 343 people were injured and 10 people died as a result of gas related incidents.
Station Commander Alan Haley said: "Many of us use gas for heating, hot water and cooking, yet we take it for granted that our boilers, cookers and gas fires are safe. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is important to get your gas appliances serviced once a year by a gas safe registered engineer".
Russell Krämer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: "Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It's great therefore, that Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 23 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe."
Follow these simple checks to stay gas safe:
- Always use a Gas Safe registered engineer when having gas work carried out in your home. You can find a registered engineer in your area by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
- Get your gas appliances safety checked at least once a year and serviced in line with the manufacturer's instructions. This includes your gas boiler, gas cooker and gas fire. Sign up at www.staygassafe.co.uk for a free reminder service.
- Check the front and back of your engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card, making sure they are qualified to do the specific type of gas work you require.
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm which will alert you if dangerous levels are present in your home.
- Check for warning signs your appliances aren't working correctly, such as lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.