Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2015 » March » Aerosol cans cause explosion in Offenham home

Aerosol cans cause explosion in Offenham home

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to reports of a bedroom fire in Station Road, Offenham at approximately 9pm on Sunday 7th March.

Crew from Evesham attended the incident which involved a small fire that had started by a candle being positioned too close to two aerosols; a bottle dry shampoo and a nail hardener. These aerosols later exploded and caused structural damage to the property.

Two of the occupants were treated by ambulance personnel at the scene for minor injuries and advised to attend their local A&E dept.

One of the occupiers Cathy Smith said "I want to thank all of the firemen who were there that night. Words cannot express how grateful I am."

Assisted by a structural engineer from Wychavon District Council, HWFRS crews worked through the night to secure the building and ensure it was not at risk from collapse following the explosions.

Station Commander, Phil Griffiths said "Although the actual fire damage was minimal, the explosion had forced the roof, walls and windows out by a few inches. A full fire investigation was carried out and it was determined that the fire had started from candles around the dressing table being in close proximity to two aerosol cans."

Following the incident, HWFRS is urging the public to take extra care with aerosols. Community Risk Group Commander, Adrian Elliot said: "Aerosols are extremely flammable and can explode when subjected to higher temperatures. If you use aerosols, keep them away from sources of ignition and never leave them in direct sunlight."

If you would like more advice on home fire safety, please call 0800 032 1155 or visit our website: www.hwfire.org.uk

Issued by Jessica Chadwick
Corporate Communications Officer
JChadwick@hwfire.org.uk
01905 368 319