Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » April » Kitchen Fire in Redditch

Kitchen Fire in Redditch

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service was called to a property in Yarr Mill Close in the Oakenshaw area of the town at around 3.20pm after a grill pan in the kitchen caught fire.


Two fire engines from Redditch fire station were quickly at the address and firefighters used a carbon dioxide (CO2) extinguisher to put out the fire. They also used ventilation fans to help clear the smoke from the premises.

No one was hurt in the incident and damage was restricted to the kitchen area only. Nevertheless, HWFRS is warning that kitchen fires have the potential to be very serious and recommend that people keep all cooking equipment and appliances clean and free from grease, and that cooking is never left unattended.

Fire crews called at other homes in the area after the incident to highlight this fire safety advice, and also to underline the importance of having smoke alarms installed and testing them regularly. As this incident demonstrates, an early alert from a working smoke alarm can minimise damage and prevent injury, and can even save lives.