Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » December » Shed fire in Orcop

Shed fire in Orcop

Initial reports suggested the fire involved the house itself with people inside it and so one fire engine from Ewyas Harold and two from Hereford were mobilised. On arrival, crews found that the fire involved a large shed attached to the house and that everyone was safely accounted for.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire, bringing the fire under control by 11.20am.

The shed was completely destroyed as a result of the incident and there was also some damage to the main property. No one was injured although one person was checked at the scene by ambulance staff.

Station Commander Sean Bailey from H&WFRS said: "There were smoke alarm fitted in the main property but these had not activated as the fire had broken out in the shed attached to the house. The fire certainly had the potential to be far more serious than it was and it was fortunate that it was noticed before it spread any further, especially considering the rural location of the property."

He explained that firefighters had dismantled the shed and moved a gas cylinder to safety as they tackled the fire. They also completed an internal inspection of the house using thermal imaging equipment.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electric heat lamp used in the shed.