Safety advice issued following charger incident
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is issuing safety advice following an incident involving an electronic charger yesterday (11 December).
At approximately 7pm yesterday evening, a fire crew from Worcester Fire Station responded to reports of a teenage boy who had been electrocuted by a charging lead. Firefighters administered oxygen at the scene until ambulance crews attended.
Area Commander Jon Pryce said: "Following the incident yesterday, we would like to urge people to use appropriate high quality chargers, ensure that charging cables are not damaged, plug sockets are not overloaded, and to avoid counterfeit or low quality products."
He continued: "It is also a timely reminder to think about electrical fire safety in general. Following a few simple tips can help prevent a potential fire or accident in your home."
In order to minimise the danger, HWFRS have produced the following guidance to reduce the risks of electrical fires in the home and to help householders keep their loved ones safe:
- Ensure that mobile phones are not left charging for long periods of time and never leave devices plugged in to charge overnight or whilst you are out of the house.
- Do not leave chargers plugged in to sockets when not in use.
- Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with EU standards
- Don't overload plug sockets
- Never leave appliances unattended – don't turn the dishwasher or washing machine on just before you leave the house or go to bed
- Keep the appliances in good clean working order
- Don't leave portable heaters switched on and unattended – this is particularly risky when pets are running around and likely to knock things over
- Check that your electrical appliances have not been recalled – www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/recall
- Make sure you register your electrical appliances – www.registermyappliance.org.uk
- Make sure you have one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them every week.
Further information on fire safety can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk or by following @HWFire on Twitter.