Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » June » Boiler safety warning

Boiler safety warning

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called to a house in Canon Pyon at around 2.55pm following reports that a fire had broken out in an oil-fired central heating boiler in the kitchen.

Fire crews from Fownhope and Kingsland attended, and while the fire was out as they arrived, a couple at the address needed oxygen therapy for the effects of smoke inhalation

Station Commander Bob Sproat from HWFRS said: "The woman had been feeling unwell before the fire, and it's possible that this was caused by fumes from the boiler."

He stressed how important it is to have boilers serviced regularly, and urged anyone noticing fumes from their boiler to turn it off immediately and contact a registered gas engineer.

He added: "The weather is hot one minute, cold the next at the moment, and people may be turning their heating on now when they wouldn't normally in the summer months. Be sure your boiler is well-maintained and serviced regularly to avoid the risk of an incident like this."

Crews from Hereford and Ledbury were called earlier in the day (at 2.25pm on Wednesday 13 June) to another fire involving a central heating boiler at an address in Lower Eggleton. The fire was extinguished with two firefighters in breathing apparatus and one hose reel used, while ventilation fans were used to clear the smoke. A man was also treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.