Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2019 » September » Danger of fire from everyday electrical appliances

Danger of fire from everyday electrical appliances

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is warning people of the dangers of fire from everyday electrical items when they are used without care or outside their main purpose.

Crews were called to a house fire in Worcester last week where the cause was identified as a set of electric hair straighteners.

The bedroom of the home was destroyed by fire.

Reports are also circulating of people cooking pizzas in toasters where fat falling from the food item on to the appliance’s elements has caused them to catch light.

“Many people use hair straighteners and when they are used carefully, they are perfectly safe,” said Station Commander Amy Bailey of HWFRS’s Community Risk department.

“But they should be allowed to cool after use and then put away safely.

“Toasters are not designed for cooking pizza and should in no circumstances be used to do so.

“The dangers of fire are considerable so please use these items, and all electrical items, for the purpose they are designed for.”

A recall has also been issued for fire-prone tumble-dryers sold by Whirlpool under its Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline brands over an 11-year period.

To find out whether your tumble-dryer might need to be recalled, visit the website or call 0800 151 0905.

Ends

pr039.pizzastraightener.OTH.sep19.rp