Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » February » Safety on Shrove Tuesday

Safety on Shrove Tuesday

in News

Traditionally Shrove Tuesday marks the beginning of Lent, where hundreds of people throughout the country make pancakes. However, when you are distracted by the image of a delicious warm pancake sprinkled with lemon juice and/or sugar, fire safety may not be at the forefront of your mind! Fat and chip pan fires cause the most number of injuries per fire in peoples’ homes. Launa Walker, Community Safety Manager for the Service said “People often make the same mistakes at this time of the year which means more injuries and call outs for the Service. Basic precautions, care and attention will make sure that you enjoy your Pancakes on Shrove Tuesday without any problem or incident”. When using a frying pan or cooking with hot oil, remember:

  • Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on
  • Do NOT move the pan if it is on fire!
  • Never put food in the pan if the oil begins to give off smoke

If the pan does catch fire:

  • Don’t take any risks. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it.
  • Don’t tackle the fire yourself.
  • GET OUT, STAY OUT, CALL 999.

A working smoke alarm will greatly increase your chances of escaping unharmed. Have a plan and follow it - know exactly which way you will leave the house and know where you will go.

Stay alive, stay safe, and make sure your smoke alarm works properly;

  • Test the battery every week.
  • Change the battery every year (unless it's a 10 year alarm).
  • Clean it out properly at least twice every year.