Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » April » Kitchen Fire in Kidderminster House

Kitchen Fire in Kidderminster House

Arriving at the scene, crews used breathing apparatus and hose reels to extinguish the fire, which had started in the kitchen. Ambulance paramedics assessed the condition of the occupants who had escaped the fire and a male was subsequently taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

Group Commander Mick Cadman of Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "The occupants had a very lucky escape. The fire had started in the kitchen after cooking had been left unattended. There was significant damage to the kitchen area and the smoke had begun to spread to other parts of the building. Fortunately, the prompt actions of the crews prevented extensive fire damage to the property. And, the Red Cross Victim Support Vehicle was on hand to provide immediate assistance to the occupants as the clear-up phase began.

"Many of the house fires we attend start in the kitchen - it is important that cooking is NEVER left unattended. Smoke alarms provide early warning of fire and should also be fitted on each floor of your property and checked on a WEEKLY basis. If you discover a fire;

  • Get out
  • Stay out
  • Call the Fire Service

"But most importantly; NEVER go back into a building which is on fire as one lungful of toxic smoke could prove lethal."