Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » October » Fire at Hereford flat

Fire at Hereford flat

The call was received at around 12.45am fire and three crews from Hereford and one from Fownhope attended, arriving to find that a fire had broken out in a bedroom of the first floor flat, located above the shops in Church Street.

The fire was extinguished with six firefighters in breathing apparatus, two hose reels and one main jet used, while heavy smoke logging throughout the property was cleared using positive pressure ventilation fans.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Group Commander Rob Ball from HWFRS said: “Disappointingly, crew members reported that a hydrant they were using in High Town was disconnected twice during the course of this incident by members of the public. Fortunately the fire was under control by this point but this action could easily have placed both our firefighters and the affected property at risk.

“Thankfully this is an unusual occurrence but it could have had devastating consequences and we would urge everyone to be aware that obstructing firefighters in this way can cause injury and is also a criminal offence.”