Fire Service supports Electrical Fire Safety Week
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is supporting Electrical Fire Safety Week 2017, which is taking place 20 – 26 November.
Each year fire crews attend a high percentage of fires that were caused by electrical goods. Domestic electrical white goods such as dishwashers, tumble dryers and fridge freezers are one of the leading causes of electrical fires across the country.
Group Commander Mick Cadman, HWFRS said: "We would like to urge home owners to follow simple tips to help prevent fires. Fires caused by the misuse of electrical products are easy to prevent but they will keep increasing unless people understand the simple things that can and do cause them. A house fire can have devastating and long term effects, not only destroying belongings and memories but also putting the lives of loved ones at risk."
In order to minimise the danger, HWFRS have produced the following guidance to reduce the risks of electrical fires in the home and to help householders keep their loved ones safe:
- Ensure that mobile phones are not left charging for long periods of time and never leave devices plugged in to charge overnight or whilst you are of the house
- Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with EU standards
- Don't overload plug sockets
- Never leave appliances unattended – don't turn the dishwasher or washing machine on just before you leave the house or go to bed
- Keep the appliances in good clean working order
- Don't leave portable heaters switched on and unattended – this is particularly risky when pets are running around and likely to knock things over
- Check that your electrical appliances have not been recalled – www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/recall
- Make sure you register your electrical appliances – www.registermyappliance.org.uk
- Make sure you have one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them every week.