Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » April » Warning following bedroom fire

Warning following bedroom fire

Three fire crews from Hereford were called to the address in Yazor Road at around 5.15pm on Saturday 14 April after the occupants returned home to find their smoke alarm activating and a fire in a bedroom of their property.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the house, ensured that there was no one inside and then brought the fire under control with the use of two hose reel jets.

The fire was caused by an extension cable being used in the bedroom.

Station Commander Jon Butlin from HWFRS said: "The fire involved an extension cable which was being used without the lead having been fully extended. We want to make people aware that this has happened and to take care themselves with how they use extension leads in their homes. "

HWFRS recommends that that whenever extension cables are used they should be fully unwound to prevent a build-up of heat in the coil as instructed for use by the manufacture. It is also recommended that they are NOT used on a permanent basis to supply household electrical appliances.