Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » July » Fire at Worcester sandwich shop

Fire at Worcester sandwich shop

Fire crews from Worcester fire station were quickly at the scene, arriving to find a fire in the ground floor of the terraced shop, used as a take-away food outlet. Firefighters in breathing apparatus forced entry into the premises and used two hose reels to extinguish the blaze.

As a safety precaution, Pump Street was cordoned off while the incident was underway and several neighbouring properties were also evacuated due to heavy smoke-logging.

Watch Commander Carl Horsburgh from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the fire was caused by an electrical fault in a chilled display cabinet in the shop.

He said: “It’s likely that the fire had been burning for some time before it was discovered. Thankfully there were no injuries and we were able to clear the smoke from the affected premises using ventilation equipment.”

Crews left the scene at around 12.15pm.