Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » November » Man rescued from his home

Man rescued from his home

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service was called to the incident at around 1.55am following reports of a fire at a bungalow in Hereford Close, with a person still inside the property.

Two fire crews from Kidderminster and one from Bewdley were quickly at the address, and two firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the bungalow, rescuing the male occupant inside. He was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and so fire crews gave him oxygen therapy until paramedics arrived at the scene.

The fire was brought under control by 2.30am with the use of one hose reel jet, and positive pressure ventilation equipment was then used to help clear the smoke from the property.

The fire was caused by a pan left unattended on the hob, resulting in damage to the cooker and smoke damage throughout the rest of the bungalow.

Watch Commander Rod Maiden from H&WFRS said: "This incident had the potential for far worse consequences, particularly as there wasn't a working smoke alarm in the property. Fortunately the fire was noticed before it spread any further but we want people to be aware that this has happened and to be extra vigilant themselves when cooking.

"Never leave your cooking unattended and make sure you switch off the cooker after use."

He also stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm in the home to give an early alert in the event of a fire.