Fire in Ross on Wye prompts candle safety warning
The Service was alerted to the incident in Ross on Wye just before 15:30 on Friday 14 December and two fire crews from Ross Fire Station and one crew from Hereford attended. Firefighters in breathing apparatus extinguished the fire in a bedroom of the first floor flat with one hose reel.
Station Commander Phil Griffiths from HWFRS explained: “It would seem that the occupant had lit a tea light candle in his bedroom and placed it on a television. Luckily the occupant was in the room when the fire started and was able to alert the Fire Service and evacuate the property prior to the arrival of the crews.”
There was extensive fire damage in the bedroom, with the television, furniture it was standing on and bed and mattress being destroyed. There was also smoke damage throughout the rest of the flat.
Station Commander Griffiths added: “Candle safety is always a key part of our winter safety campaign and we would like to take this opportunity to remind people about using candles with care especially during the festive period.”
HWFRS advises that:
- Never leave candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.
- Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.
- Don’t move candles once they are lit.
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping.
- Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon - sparks can fly if you blow them out.
- Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquify when heated to maximise fragrance.
- Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.