Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » February » Is Your Chimney Due a Clean?

Is Your Chimney Due a Clean?

in News

On Friday (15 February), firefighters from Hereford were called to a chimney fire at a house in St Weonards, and a crew from Kidderminster attended a chimney fire at a property in Caunsall. Crews from Fownhope and Ross-on-Wye then went to an incident involving a woodburning stove in How Caple on Saturday evening (16 February). On Sunday morning (17 February), two crews from Malvern were called to a woodburning stove fire in Blackmore Park Road, Malvern, and then on Sunday night, a crew from Kidderminster extinguished a chimney fire at a house in Areley Court in Stourport-on-Severn. Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department reminded residents across the two counties that many chimney fires are avoidable simply through good care and maintenance. He said: “It’s been very cold at times this winter and undoubtedly those with real fires or woodburning stoves will have been lighting them on a regular basis to help heat their homes. Clearly the more that a fire has been used, the faster the build-up of soot and debris, and we’d urge anyone whose chimney is due a clean to book an appointment now to avoid the increased risk of a fire, and the damage or injury such a fire can cause.”