Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » April » Chimney fire at Stoke Bliss, Herefordshire

Chimney fire at Stoke Bliss, Herefordshire

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called to the incident at around 11.45am yesterday morning (Tuesday 17 April) after family members noticed smoke coming from the woodburner into the kitchen. 


Two fire engines from Tenbury Wells and one from Bromyard attended and firefighters arrived to find flames coming through the flue of the woodburning stove, and the wallpaper in the kitchen on fire.

Watch Commander David James from HWFRS said: "This was a deep-seated chimney fire and crews had to work hard to ensure the fire was fully extinguished."

He confirmed that this involved cutting away the ceiling in a first floor bedroom to get access to the roof space and the use of chimney rods, working at height gear, roof ladders and one hose reel jet.

There was extensive damage to the bedroom ceiling upstairs and smoke damage in the kitchen and lounge area on the ground floor as a result of the fire.

WC James added: "It was fortunate that the smoke in the kitchen was noticed when it was and we were able to stop any further spread of fire."

He urged anyone with a wood burning stove or real fire to get their chimneys swept on a regular basis and to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their home.