Chimney safety warning
The Service issues regular reminders as part of its Winter Safety Campaign, knowing the devastating impact a chimney fire can have on a home and its occupants.
Firefighters across the two counties have attended six chimney or wood burner fires in the last week this (two in Bromsgrove, one in Pershore, one in Ledbury, one in Ross on Wye and one in Hereford).
Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “With the weather getting colder, more and more people will be lighting fires to keep warm, we do want people to be aware just how damaging they can be. A fire in a chimney can all too easily spread into the roof space and to other parts of a property, and can even destroy a home completely.
“The good news, however, is that most chimney fires can be avoided simply by ensuring chimneys are swept regularly and that only the correct fuels are used.”