Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » November » Fire Service gives kitchen fire safety advice

Fire Service gives kitchen fire safety advice

in News

H&WFRS is reminding people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to get into the habit of switching off all cooking appliances after use, and double-checking this before going out or going to bed at night.

Station Commander Alan Haley from the Community Safety department said “Nearly half of all house fires the Service attends start in the kitchen and we would remind people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and to be sure that books, magazines, tea-towels and any flammable items are kept well away from the stove”

Kitchen safety tips:

  • Keep your cooker and grill pan clean, burnt food and fat causes fires
  • Turn off all electrical appliances and pull out the plugs when not using them
  • Cooking becomes dangerous if you drink alcohol, you could become drowsy and not be as safe as you think
  • Do not use a toaster under a cupboard
  • If you use a chip pan, never fill it more than a third full and stay with it all the time
  • Washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers can also catch fire and therefore we advise not to leave these on when you leave the house or go to bed.

Station Commander Haley also stressed the importance of having smoke alarms installed and testing them regularly. As these incidents illustrate, an early alert from a working smoke alarm can help minimise damage to your home and avoid injury in the event of a fire.