Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » March » Sofa fire

Sofa fire

Fire crews from Upton and Worcester attended the incident and extinguished a fire in a sun room on the ground floor of the property with four firefighters in breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a covering jet used.

No one was injured but there was fire damage to the leather sofa and a door in the sun room, and smoke damage in the adjoining kitchen.

The fire is believed to have started accidentally.

Station Commander Gary Jay from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) said: “Fortunately the occupant was alerted by his smoke alarm and was able to escape unharmed from his house. This incident shows just why we promote the importance of smoke alarms and I’d everyone to check their own alarms are in working order.”

HWFRS recommends that smoke alarms are fitted on every level of your home and that they are tested on a weekly basis. Working smoke alarms can and do save lives!