Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » February » Chip pan fire in Droitwich as National Chip week starts

Chip pan fire in Droitwich as National Chip week starts

in News

The call came through just after 9pm on Sunday evening (19 February), reporting the activation of a smoke alarm at flats in Nunnery Avenue. Two fire crews from Droitwich attended, arriving to find that a small fire in a deep fat fryer had already been extinguished but that there was extensive smoke logging in the property.

An occupant from the flat was taken to hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation while firefighters in breathing apparatus helped clear smoke from the premises using positive pressure ventilation equipment.

To coincide with National Chip Week, the Service is reminding people to take extra care when using hot oil, to keep a close eye on their cooking at all times and to consider switching to a thermostatically-controlled deep-fat fryer or oven chips as a safer option. People are also reminded never to throw water on a chip pan fire but to get out, stay out and call the Fire Service. 

An early alert from a working smoke alarm can also make a vital difference in the event of a fire in the home, so check yours is working today!