Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » March » Fire at house in Redditch

Fire at house in Redditch

Two fire engines attended, and firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the property and used one hose reel to ensure that a small fire in the living room was fully extinguished. They also used ventilation fans to help clear the smoke from the house.

Watch Commander Jon Laight from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "The family at the house did exactly the right thing by getting themselves and their dog safely out of the property, and we'd urge anyone discovering a fire in their home to do the same – get out, stay out and call 999."

He said that the fire was started when some plastic folders stored near a halogen lamp caught alight, and he urged other people to be sure to keep all flammable items well away from lights in their home.

He also reminded people to ensure they have working smoke alarms fitted on every level of their home and to test them on a weekly basis.