Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » July » Warning following chip pan fire in Redditch

Warning following chip pan fire in Redditch

in News

Firefighters are warning people to be extra vigilant following a chip pan fire in Redditch at the end of last week.


Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service were called to a residential property in Salters Lane, Redditch shortly before 10.30pm on Thursday 15 July after the occupant was alerted to the fire by his smoke alarm.

Two Redditch appliances attended and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the ground floor flat, where they extinguished the fire and then used positive pressure ventilation equipment to clear the smoke from the building.

The occupant, a male in his 40s, was treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Station Manager at Redditch, Phil Griffiths, explained: "Fortunately the man had a working smoke alarm fitted at his property and so had early warning about the fire.

"We want to take this opportunity to remind people about the importance of having a working smoke alarm fitted – it really can be the difference between a minor incident and a fatal fire."

He advised people to fit a smoke alarm on every floor of the property and to get into the habit of checking on a weekly basis that the alarm is working properly. He urged people to keep a spare battery at all times and to replace batteries without delay as needed.

He also encouraged people with elderly or vulnerable family or friends to encourage them to have smoke alarms fitted and to check them regularly.

Station Manager Griffiths reminded people that many house fires start in the kitchen and he urged anyone using a chip pan to be especially vigilant, advising them to keep an eye on their cooking at all times and never to leave pans unattended.