Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » August » Man Has Lucky Escape in Droitwich House Fire

Man Has Lucky Escape in Droitwich House Fire

Firefighters say that a man is lucky to be alive following a serious fire at his house in Droitwich early yesterday morning (Thursday 19 August).

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service were called shortly after midnight to the three storey house in Old Coach Road following reports of a fire in the kitchen area. The owner of the property had started cooking and then had fallen asleep on his sofa, waking up later to find the cooker on fire and his house full of smoke.

Two fire appliances from Droitwich attended the incident and two firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the smoke-filled house, making the premises safe by isolating the electrics to the fire damaged kitchen. A Positive Pressure Ventilation fan was also used to help remove the smoke from the building.

The man, who had attempted to extinguish the fire, suffered from the effects of smoke inhalation and was checked at the scene by ambulance staff.

Station Manager Ian Jallands explained: "While the man was shocked at the extent of the smoke damage at his house following the fire, it may take a while longer for him to realise just what a lucky escape he has had.

"It was very fortunate that he woke up when he did as the dense smoke could have been lethal. At least a gutted kitchen and a smoke damaged house can be put right."

Station Manager Jallands confirmed that there were no smoke alarms in the house prior to the fire. Firefighters fitted smoke alarms on each floor in the escape route, before they left the address.

He added: "We hope this will prompt anyone without a working smoke alarm in their home to get one fitted today. No one ever expects to have a fire in their house, but this incident shows just how fast a fire can take hold. Smoke spreads through a house quickly and is a killer. Early warning can make the difference between escaping or dying."