Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » November » Chip pan fire, Redditch

Chip pan fire, Redditch

Two fire crews from Redditch fire station attended the Heronfield Close address, arriving to find that a small fire involving a chip pan on the stove had already been extinguished. However there was substantial amount of smoke in the property and firefighters used ventilation equipment to help clear it.

Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “Fortunately this incident was not too serious but a fire in the kitchen can easily spread and cause extensive damage and injury.

“We therefore want to remind people to take extra care in the kitchen, particularly when using hot fat.”

With kitchen safety a key part of the Service’s Winter Safety Campaign, he warned that cooking should never be left unattended and he recommended that people consider using a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer or oven chips as a safer alternative to a traditional chip pan.

He also urged people to double check that their smoke alarms are in good working order.