Chimney safety warning
Fire crews were called to three incidents on Saturday evening (14 January) - a chimney fire in Bosbury Road in Cradley, near Malvern, at 5.37pm, a woodburner chimney fire in Rock Hill, Bromsgrove at 5.38pm and another woodburner chimney fire in Deep Dean Lane in Ross-on-Wye at 7.10pm – plus a chimney fire in School Street in Honeybourne, near Evesham, at 1.50pm on Sunday afternoon (15 January).
Watch Commander Ade Taylor from HWFRS’s Community Safety Team said: “Many more people are choosing real fires or woodburning stoves as a way of heating their homes, and with fuel prices at the levels they are, we can only see this trend continuing.
“However, to avoid the risk of a chimney fire, it’s vital that people ensure their chimneys are swept regularly and that they only use the fuels recommended for their particular stove or burner.”
He stressed that while chimney fires have the potential to cause extensive damage to a home, most can be avoided simply by following this advice.
Further chimney safety advice, including a list of approved chimney sweeps operating locally, is available under the Safety and Advice heading.