Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » January » Fire in Bromyard

Fire in Bromyard

Fire crews from Bromyard and Worcester attended and used one hose jet to extinguish a fire in an open porch area at the back of the property.

No one was injured during the incident but an old sofa was destroyed in the fire and the roof of the porch also suffered slight damage.

The fire is believed to have started after hot embers from a woodburning stove were sucked up by a vacuum cleaner. The waste bag from the cleaner was then left outside the back of the house where it caught fire and spread to an old sofa located nearby.

Group Commander Richard Jordan from HWFRS said that: “Fortunately the fire was noticed before it spread any further but we would like to make people aware that this has happened and urge them to be extra vigilant themselves with hot embers.”

The Service advises people to dispose of fireplace ashes in a metal container placed well away from the house.