Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2013 » January » Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

in News

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas. Ordinarily this would not be a problem but it is also an extremely poisonous gas and because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it, it COULD kill without warning in just a few hours.

Approximately, there are 40 accidental deaths due to CO poisoning every year in England and Wales and over 200 cases of recorded non-fatal injury. It is believed that a great many more people are exposed and suffer from milder cases of CO poisoning but are unaware of the cause and suffer long term illness. As a result, the impact on health may well be underestimated.

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life. The NHS advise that “…a headache is the most common symptom of CO poisoning.

Other common symptoms include:

  • dizziness and nausea (feeling sick)
  • vomiting (being sick)
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing