Industrial fires in Droitwich
Two crews from Droitwich fire station attended the incident and sent in a breathing apparatus crew to deal with the fire. Alan Haley, Station Commander from HWFRS said “due to the early call to the fire service and the efficient firefighting by the crews a very serious fire was averted. The forklift truck was battery powered and it is believed that the fire started due to an electrical fault”.
He continued “crews had to deal with a large quantity of burning oil that was on the floor and this would have spread to the packaging and stored goods had the crews not dealt with the fire as promptly as they did”.
Droitwich crews also attended a fire at just before 2.30pm yesterday at the Landrover Garage where a total of four appliances attended. The incident involved a fire in a workshop and involved one car on fire, with the potential to spread to a further 15 cars.
Station Commander Haley said “due to the nature of the incident and the potential of the fire spreading, ten firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the workshop and had to use negative pressure via 3 portable fans to improve firefighting conditions. Again due to the quick intervention of the crews and good firefighting procedures the fire was prevented from spreading to other areas of the building and thus saved the loss of the building and vehicles”.