The first of the day came at 16:15 when firefighters from Broadway and Evesham were called to a woodburner fire at a house in Broadway. At 18:41 Tenbury crews were called to a woodburning stove fire at a property in Tenbury and just after 19:00 Malvern firefighters were called to extinguish a small fire in a woodburner at a property in Cradley in Malvern. Finally at just after 20:00 Pershore crews attended a house in Bishampton to put out a chimney fire.
Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety department said: “We saw a cluster of chimney fires yesterday over the two counties and while there were no injuries as a result of these incidents, we want to ensure people realise just how devastating chimney fires can prove.”
He explained that a chimney fire can all too easily spread in to the roof and can completely destroy your home.
He continued: “Most chimney fires, however, are avoidable simply through good care and maintenance and we would urge anyone with a real fire or woodburning stove to ensure they have their chimney swept on a regular basis throughout the winter months.”
A list of approved chimney sweeps operating locally and further chimney safety advice is available from the Service’s website under the Safety & Advice heading.