Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2014 » April » Caravan fire in Worcester

Caravan fire in Worcester

Caravan fire in Worcester

The incident happened at Offerton Lane, Worcester, at just after 4.30am. Two fire engines from Worcester attended the scene and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to extinguish the fire.

Station Commander Jallands said: “The occupier of the caravan managed to evacuate his family before using a garden hose to spray water onto the fire through the open door, which helped to control the flames until the fire crews arrived.

“Once the firefighters had put the fire out they vented the caravan of smoke. The family were extremely lucky to survive the fire, which was thought to have been caused by an electric fan heater left on all night.

“Although there were two smoke alarms fitted in the caravan, the smoke alarm positioned directly above the fire had no battery in it. It was only by chance that the daughter awoke and alerted the adults, averting a certain tragedy.”

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service recommends that you make sure you have the earliest warning of a fire by testing your smoke alarm weekly. More safety information can be found at www.hwfire.org.uk