Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2014 » July » Safety warning following e-cigarette fire

Safety warning following e-cigarette fire

Two fire engines from Worcester attended a fire at a property in Lincoln Green at just after 6.00pm on Sunday 13 July.

Station Commander Alan Haley from the Community Safety department said: “Thankfully no-one was injured in this fire, however, it could have been much worse which is why I want to use this case to stress the importance of people not leaving electrical items such as e-cigarettes on charge while they are away from the house or asleep.”

He continued: “Our advice for e-cigarettes is the same as for many smaller electrical appliances such as mobile phones and laptops - don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials. It is important that when you are out or are asleep at night to close all doors”.

“We would also like to remind people to have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and to test them on a weekly basis.”

Station Commander Haley wanted e-cigarette users to be aware of the following advice:

  • Never leave e-cigarettes on charge unattended for long periods of time
  • Only use the charger supplied
  • Charge the device on a flat, solid and stable surface, such as a kitchen worktop
  • Don’t exceed the recommended charging time
  • Keep the device way from flammable or combustible materials when charging
  • Never leave the device on a bed or close to soft furnishings, or in a cluttered space
  • Ensure you purchase your e-cigarette from a reputable sources
  • Check the e-cigarette carries CE certification
  • Keep e-cigarettes out of the reach of children