Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » May » Smoke Alarm Reminder Following Flat Fire

Smoke Alarm Reminder Following Flat Fire

The incident happened at just after 4.30pm yesterday (Thursday) in Saddlers Walk after a fire broke out in the kitchen of a first floor flat.


Station Commander Mark Strutt from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "When we arrived there was a lot of smoke in the property but thankfully the occupant did exactly the right thing by closing the door to the kitchen and leaving the property. These actions undoubtedly stopped the fire from spreading further. We sent two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus into the property and they quickly put the fire out.

"I would like to remind people about the importance of testing smoke alarms – even hard wired alarms need testing regularly. Smoke alarms provide you with an early warning if a fire breaks out."