Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2016 » July » Fire Service reminds home owners – stay safe when using candles

Fire Service reminds home owners – stay safe when using candles

in News

Following a fire in Hereford, started by a candle, that destroyed a home this week; Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS), is reminding people to stay safe when using candles.

Nationally, candle fires result in around 350 casualties each year, Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is urging people to take extra care with candles – with nearly 40% of all fires started by candles resulting in a death or injury.

The most important step you can take to keep yourself and your loved ones safe is to ensure your home has a working smoke alarm. To prevent candle fires from starting in your home, you should make sure your candles are kept away from flammable materials like curtains and ensure candles are put out when you leave the room, even for a moment.

Station Commander Sean Bailey said "candles are a typical sight in many homes, scenting our rooms and giving an atmospheric glow. But it's important to remember that a candle is not just a decorative feature. Left unattended, an open flame scenting your home could leave a trail of devastation.

"Place your lit candles with extra care, away from curtains, pets and children and always remember to put them out when you leave the room, even for a moment."

Station Commander Bailey continued "even with these precautions it's vital to be prepared should the worst happen. A working smoke alarm can give you the vital time you need to get out, stay out and call 999. Keep yourself and your loved ones safe by testing your alarm regularly and by practicing your escape routes."

To help you enjoy your candles safely, the Fire Service recommends:

  • Never leave lit candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they are out completely at night.
  • Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.
  • Don't move candles once they are lit
  • Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare
  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping.
  • Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon - sparks can fly if you blow them out.
  • Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquify when heated to maximise fragrance.
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
  • Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur– practise your escape route.

For more information visit the Fire Kills campaign's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/firekills

Issued by:
Emma Roberts
Community Risk Support Manager
01905 368238