Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2010 » December » Carbon Monoxide – Don't let the silent killer get you or your loved ones!

Carbon Monoxide – Don't let the silent killer get you or your loved ones!

in News

With the cold weather forecast to continue, Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service is reminding householders to ensure heaters and boilers are properly serviced and to also consider fitting carbon monoxide detectors in their home.


Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas that is produced in excess when carbon-based fuels do not burn properly. Every year people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

By taking a few simple precautions you can avoid the risks from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Please take time to visit www.carbonmonoxidekills.com.

Information can also be found on the website of the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society.

Finally, don't forget to ensure you have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test them every week. Standard smoke alarm batteries should be replaced once a year.