Fire prompts re-issue of candle safety advice
Fire crews from Ross (2) and Whitchurch plus a fourth pump from Gloucestershire Fire & Rescue Service attended after the Service was alerted to the incident at 3.20pm.
Crews found a fire in the bedroom of the converted barn in Leys Hill which they extinguished with six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, one hose reel and one covering jet.
A woman from the property was taken by hospital by ambulance.
Station Commander Neil Lilwall from HWFRS confirmed that there were working smoke alarms at the property which raised the alarm.
He said: “There was severe fire damage in the bedroom, and heat and smoke damage throughout the rest of the property. We believe that the fire was started by a candle in the bedroom and would remind everyone, especially over the Christmas period, to take great care when lighting candles in the home.
“Place candles securely, away from flammable objects such as curtains or bedding, and if you leave the room, even just for a moment, put the candles out. It’s also important to double check candles are out before going out or going to sleep.”
HWFRS issued the following candle safety advice during Candle Safety Week in November, and is urging residents across the two counties to take a few moments to read this common sense advice:
- Never leave candles unattended. Put burning candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re out completely at night.
- Place your candles carefully. Make sure they are on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children, and keep them away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.
- Don’t move candles once they are lit.
- Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping.
- Put candles out with a snuffer or a spoon - sparks can fly if you blow them out.
- Always put scented candles in a heat resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquify when heated to maximise fragrance.
- Fit a smoke alarm and test it regularly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.