Six fire appliances at flat fire in Kidderminster
Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to a flat fire in Derwent House, Kidderminster at 0:41 on Sunday, 20 December 2020.
Fire Appliances from Kidderminster were promptly on scene and were faced with smoke issuing from a flat on the 8th floor with the occupier still inside. Fire crews quickly established water supplies and committed four Breathing Apparatus wearers who gained entry, rescued the occupier and extinguished the fire.
The occupier was taken to hospital for precautionary checks after inhaling smoke, however these swift actions ensured that there were no significant injuries, damage to the flat was kept to a minimum and other residents were not affected.
Group Commander George Marshall, who attended the incident said: “Our fire crews are very familiar with these flats and are very well trained to deal with fires on any floor – and it showed. Within minutes local fire crews had rescued the occupier, extinguished the fire and were providing reassurance to other flat owners.”
In total six Fire Appliances attended the scene. They received invaluable support from Ambulance crews, Police Officers and Wyre Forest Community Housing and the successful resolution of the incident was testament to very effective multi-agency working.
The fire was accidental, caused by combustibles too close to the cooker hob.
George Marshall said: “While fires can occur it is pleasing to see that in the event of a fire everything worked like clockwork to keep the residents safe. The fire alarm system operated immediately which mobilises fire crews to the flat involved, the structure and maintenance of the building contained the fire and the response of the fire crews ensured a swift resolution, minimal injury and damage and very little disruption to other residents.”
Whilst this incident was not directly related to our Christmas safety campaign it provides an opportunity to repeat our key seasonal safety messages to encourage everyone to take extra care to keep their loved ones safe from fire:
- Please do not leave cooking unattended
- Place candles in suitable holders
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working
- If using portable heaters keep combustibles such as clothes and decorations clear
- Don’t overload sockets and use appliances and lights with a British Safety Standard.
- Unplug none essential items before going to bed
- Be careful of cigarettes, especially if you may fall asleep
In recent years, excessive alcohol consumption has been a major contributor to fire-related casualties, so if you are having some festive drinks, please don’t drop your guard.
If you would like any further information please watch the Fire Kills campaign’s short Christmas Tree video at:
or go to our website https://www.hwfire.org.uk.
From everyone at HWFRS, we wish you all a very happy and safe Christmas.