Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » May » Warning following dishwasher fire

Warning following dishwasher fire

One fire crew from Bromsgrove attended and used thermal imaging equipment to ensure that a fire in the dishwasher was fully extinguished. 

There was significant soot damage in the kitchen and some damage to the hallway as a result of the fire.

Station Commander Mark Strutt from HWFRS said: "A woman living at the address thought she smelt smoke during the night and then discovered the burnt dishwasher in the morning as she went into her kitchen. Fortunately the kitchen door was shut, and the fire, starved of oxygen, burnt itself out without spreading any further."

He explained that there were no smoke alarms fitted inside the flat and so the woman had been extremely lucky that the fire burnt itself out in the way it did.

He urged people to make sure they have smoke alarms installed on each level of their home and to test them on a weekly basis. He also encouraged people to close internal doors and to switch off electric appliances where possible as part of their night-time routine.

He confirmed that firefighters would be returning to the flat to install smoke alarms and to offer home fire safety advice to other residents in the Marlborough Avenue area.