Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » September » Chip pan fire

Chip pan fire

Two fire engines from Worcester were sent along to the Aycliffe Road address and on arrival, crews found that the occupants had removed the chip pan from the kitchen out on to the driveway. Firefighters then used a fire blanket, a CO2 (carbon dioxide) extinguisher and a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was fully extinguished.


Firefighters also gave oxygen therapy to a man and a woman from the property for the effects of smoke inhalation, and the couple received further medical attention as paramedics arrived.

Watch Commander Dave Smith from H&WFRS said: "Thankfully there was little damage and no serious injury as a result of this incident but chip pan fires can turn out very differently.

"We would remind people to keep an eye on their cooking at all times, taking care that hot oil does not over-heat and that appliances are switched off after use. We would also urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm fitted on each floor of their home."

He confirmed that firefighters carried out a full Home Fire Safety Check before leaving the property, and also called at other homes in the immediate area to offer a range of fire safety advice.