Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2011 » September » Flat fire in Hereford

Flat fire in Hereford

Three fire engines from Hereford were quickly dispatched to the incident while operators from Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service's (H&WFRS) Fire Control gave reassurance and safety advice to two occupants trapped in a first floor bedroom at the flat by a fire in the hallway on the ground floor.

Crews and ambulance staff helped the pair escape to safety through a bedroom window and then firefighters in breathing apparatus forced entry into the property, using two high pressure hose reels and a main line jet to extinguish the blaze. The fire was under control shortly before 3am, with extensive fire damage in the hall and severe smoke damage throughout the whole flat.

The occupants of the flat, a man and a woman, were taken by ambulance to hospital where they were treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

The occupants of neighbouring flats were also evacuated as a precautionary measure during the incident.

Station Commander Sean Bailey from H&WFRS said: "The fire was detected in its early stages by a smoke alarm fitted in the hallway which woke the occupants, and gave them time to call 999 and find a place of relative safety in the first floor bedroom while they waited for the emergency services to arrive.

"Without this early warning, the outcome of this fire would have been significantly worse, and we cannot stress enough how important it is to have smoke alarms fitted in the home and to test them regularly. They can and do save lives."