Jump to main content

News & Events

Home » News & Events » 2012 » April » Warning following Worcester flat fire

Warning following Worcester flat fire

in News

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) was called to the flat in Wood House Close at 6.20pm on Saturday 21 April after a smoke detector at the property activated.


Two fire crews from Worcester attended, finding a fire in the lounge area of the ground floor flat which was brought under control with four firefighters in breathing apparatus and the use of two hose reels. Positive pressure ventilation fans were also used to help clear the smoke from the premises.

The two occupants from the flat were treated for minor burns and the effects of smoke inhalation.

Station Commander Guy Palmer from HWFRS said: "Thanks to an early alert from the smoke alarm and the prompt attendance of fire crews, damage was limited to the lounge area where the fire started.

"However, the fire was caused by a cigarette and we want other smokers to be aware that this has happened and to be extra vigilant themselves."

He urged smokers to follow these simple precautions to avoid a fire in their home:

  • Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished, and take extra care when leaving the house or going up to bed at night.
  • Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.
  • Never smoke in bed. Take extra care when you're tired. It's very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.
  • Avoid drugs and alcohol when smoking. It's easy to lose your concentration when using any sort of drugs or drinking alcohol, and the risk can be greater again when combined with cigarettes.
  • Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended - they can easily overbalance as they burn down.
  • Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can't tip over easily and is made of a material that won't burn.