Gas leak in Hartlebury
One fire crew from Kidderminster attended after a male from the property noticed the smell of gas and raised the alarm.
Watch Commander Len Rees from HWFRS said: “It would appear that someone had tried to remove some copper piping from outside the premises without the gas having been isolated first.
“Thankfully those in the property had safely evacuated as we arrived and we were able to isolate the gas supply to the premises.”
He confirmed that firefighters then used a gas monitor to check gas levels in the immediate area before handing over to Transco engineers.
He added: “Removing gas pipework in this way is extremely irresponsible and anyone doing so should be aware that they are putting local residents, emergency services staff and themselves at risk.”
He confirmed that police also attended and that one male was arrested in connection with the incident.