Man Rescued from Droitwich Flat Fire
Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service rescued a man in his 30s from a flat in Droitwich at the weekend.
The initial call came through shortly before 4pm on Saturday 21 August with reports that there was smoke coming from a flat at Charland Court, in the Westlands area of the town.
Firefighters from Droitwich were at the scene within minutes and believing the premises to occupied, they called for the second crew from Droitwich and an additional fire appliance from Worcester to attend.
Wearing breathing apparatus, Droitwich firefighters entered the property through a ground floor window and rescued a male who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics and then taken by ambulance to hospital.
Firefighters used positive pressure ventilation equipment to remove smoke from the building and the fire was brought under control by 4.45pm, although crews remained at the address for further damping down and fire investigation.
Group Manager Mick Cadman said: "The Droitwich crew were at the address in around four minutes and this, and their rapid assessment of the situation, certainly played a part in bringing the occupant of the flat to safety so quickly.
"He was suffering from severe smoke inhalation but we hope that the rapid medical attention he received will assist with a speedy recovery."
Initial investigations suggest the fire was accidental and that it may have been started by careless disposal of smoking material.
Police also attended the incident.