Electrical Fire Safety Week 23 – 27 September, 2013
The Electrical Safety Council-led initiative is part of the government’s Fire Kills campaign, and aims to highlight the fact that half of house fires start in the kitchen. New research from the Electrical Safety Council reveals fire risks of dirty kitchens as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week.
As grime fires are often caused by hidden dirt or overlooked mess, they can easily be avoided by thoroughly cleaning the kitchen on a regular basis and tidying away mess. Yet research from the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) shows that a third of people can’t remember the last time their oven or the area behind their fridge was cleaned, one in seven admit to regularly blocking vents with objects, and one in ten even confess to leaving flammable items next to heat sources.
Station Commander Alan Haley from HWFRS’s Community Safety Department said: “It can be hard to stay on top of household chores with busy work and life schedules, particularly for families with young children. However, we are regularly called to fires in the home that start in the kitchen, so I would strongly urge everyone to be vigilant to the hidden dangers of dirt and grime.
“We recommend you make time at least once a year to clean out any ventilation systems you use in your kitchen, as well as the space behind fridges and freezers. Throughout the year it’s also important to make sure items aren’t stored on top of microwaves, or in front of its vents, as well as ensuring there isn’t a build-up of grime in ovens and toasters.”
SC Haley added: “We’d urge people to take a look around their homes with these safety tips in mind. Many electrical fires are avoidable and so please help keep yourself, your family and your home safe by following this advice.”